- Started Mutually Beneficial Activities Foundation by its conception, registration, etc.
- Focus on fruitful occupation after training in necessary skills for Persons with Disabilities (PWD) towards ‘A life with self-esteem and dignity’.
- Also to answer the Traumatic question of parents – “AFTER US WHAT?”
History, Vision and Mission
“A Life with Self Esteem and Dignity for the Disabled”
“Every Disabled person has access to
all required facilities for Rehabilitation”
History of MBA Foundation
“ AFTER US WHAT ???” This is a question every ageing parent asks oneself,
each other & similar parents of children with special needs.
In India, there are no ready answers; our ancient system of joint family living is gone, no government homes or facilities (like in other countries) have been established to take care of persons with disabilities, who need life-long shelter care and assistance in daily living.
Most of these youngsters remain idle at home till parents are alive to take care and then are left to the mercy of others irrespective of being rich or poor.
Nuclear families i.e. parents, with one or two kids, mostly work to earn during their younger days to meet the expenses of bringing up their children; realise much later that their special child needs something more in terms of occupation and life-long care.
Taking all these into consideration and with many meetings with parents of children with different disabilities, we felt that our main focus needs to be for the adult people who need occupation & shelter. The other facilities (like early intervention, prevocational training) have been built in later as per the needs of the different locations.
Different important milestones in MBA Foundation’s functioning of 12 years:
- Started day care activities centre ‘Godsmiles’ in Chembur with seven young girls trained at National Job Development Centre (NJDC); making items of daily use.
- Extended ‘Godsmiles’ for boys in Chembur. After finding the need to accommodate boys, we opened an extended centre in another flat in Chembur. Only to join them in a bigger flat three years later.
- Setting up new centre in Powai – ‘Gods Heavens’.
- Finding the need for life care, our search ended in getting four flats in the ground floor in Powai, which suited the immediate requirement started with four life care beneficiaries and six day care students.
- Finding no facility available for small children with special needs in Powai, we set up an Early Childhood Intervention clinic to prepare a child with the requisite therapy, early intervention towards school education. Age group– two to 11 years.
- Setting up Thane centre in association with Rotary club in to address the needs of parents of persons with disabilities, Rotary Club of Thane North End and MBA Foundation set up a vocational training and sheltered work centre in Rotary Help Centre with seven students.
- Major awareness programs on World Disability Day.
- A day long program in Powai, started with a Dignity Walk along Powai Lakes with able & differently able together people, raising slogans and holding posters about the needs and abilities of persons with disabilities. The culmination of the walk was in the site for a Job Fair for persons with disabilities, with 18 corporate organisations participating to interview 230 candidates who had gathered. It was inaugurated by Mr. Niranjan Hiranandani,
Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of Hiranandani Group.
- The evening was a celebration with cultural program with participation from trainees of four different Non-Government Organisations (NGOs) working in the field, showcasing their abilities in the field of art and culture. This daylong event in Powai helped raise awareness in the neighbourhood and many people, social organisations and companies came forward to associate with us.
- Executive Training & Placement Initiative with National Association of Software and Services Companies (NASSCOM) Foundation.
- The feedback from the organisations after the job fair resulted in starting of a training course to better equip these youngsters with necessary pre requisites for a job. NASSCOM came forward to support with space and teaching faculty for computer training and English language, Communications, etc. This helped more than 100 candidates to receive training out of which about 75 got good jobs in the different firms.
- Set up vocational training & National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS) coaching at Society for Education of the Crippled (SEC) Day School in reaching out to more and more persons with disabilities.
- SEC Day school approached us to train their ex-students in vocational training towards a home bound occupation as most of them are physically challenged and commuting is a problem.
Finding most of them educable through our assessment, we started coaching them in English and for NIOS 10th class exams. They have all done well and are working in a sheltered atmosphere, where they are trained in new skills like candle, flower making etc.
- Conducted a free annual health check up for all beneficiaries of MBA Foundation with Dr. L.H. Hiranandani Hospital, Powai for every student admitted in any of our services, is eligible for a yearly check up in the hospital. Based on the results, any further investigation is done, or the doctors do the interventions required or prescribe the medicines. All these are done Free of cost as a commitment from the Hiranandanis as a partnership gesture for G.O.D.S’ (Group of Disabled) health requirements.
- Setting up of new Centre in Gorai – Gods Saagarika in One of our well-wishers, Mr. Amit Dholakia, who is very appreciative of our services, offered us his and his sister’s bungalows in Gorai free of cost, to reach out to more needy people. This was an opportunity to extend our services in the far western suburbs and to be able to take more beneficiaries for life care.
- Rehabilitation Council of India certified courses for training teachers, care givers, parents and volunteers in the management of persons with disabilities, started in 2010 to orient people who wish to deal with special children / adults. Understanding the different disabilities and their incapacitation effects on people, enable us to empathise with these youngsters and appreciate their efforts in trying out the activities we plan for them.
- Many awareness programs have been conducted every during the year on World Disability Day, Founders Day, and Independence Day, etc. These consist of seminars, workshops on important topics on disability management; Events to showcase the capabilities of persons with disabilities from many NGOs; sports, competitions and cultural programs involving these special children and adults. These have enabled us to spread awareness in the communities – both urban and rural and reach out to more persons with disabilities.
- The latest milestone is purchase of a plot from CIDCO in Airoli, specifically for construction of a residential centre for persons with disabilities. After completion of all sanctions, plans and permissions; the construction started in February, 2014 and are expected to be completed by end of 2015. Currently, the donations and fund raising drives are focussed for this project, GODS’ Abode.